Placing your Petersburg home on the market is more than just listing the home. There are several things you will want to know before attempting to sell your Petersburg VA real estate. Avoiding these mistakes will help to ensure that once the home is generating interest, the sale will be as stress-free as possible.
So, what are these mistakes?
- One that is by far a mistake that could easily end up costing you a sale is pricing your home for entirely too much. Everyone likes to think their Petersburg VA Homes is worth a mint.
Naturally, this is your home that you have kept up the maintenance on – you may have added features – and the maximum amount is what you would like to receive.
The truth is if your home is priced so far above other homes in the same neighborhood, they will be the ones that will sell while yours sits dormant.
Make your Petersburg VA Homes accessible even when you are not home. Allow the real estate agent you are listed with to have a lock box put on your home. This will let potential buyers make an appointment to see the home. If they are interested and cannot see the home, they may just decide to skip it altogether.
- Get your home in shape. Make sure it is clean and everything is neatly put away. A sloppy house is not appealing to anyone, least of all a potential buyer. Do not forget the outside is just as important as the inside.
- Make repairs. They will stick out like a sore thumb when the house is being viewed. This is also a bargaining tool that buyers use to get the price of the house lowered.
- If you are home when potential buyers come to tour the house, be polite. The conversation is best kept to a minimum. But it is truly best to not be present when showings are taking place.
- Simply putting an ad in the local newspaper will not be enough to sell your Petersburg VA Homes. Real estate agents know how to get your home on people's top list to see. The more viewings by potential customers, the better the odds of selling your home will be.
- When it comes to selling your Petersburg VA Homes, it may bring on a whole host of emotions. However, this has to be looked at as purely business. Getting emotional over aspects of the home is not conducive to selling.
- When you get ready to sell your home, ideally it would be best to sell when it is a seller's market. This is not always possible. Know what is going on in the market since this will affect the price of your home.
- Make some specific requirements. Tell your real estate agent you only want the home shown to people who are pre-qualified to purchase a home. Talk to your realtor about what this means and how you can be confident that your buyer's are qualified to afford your Petersburg VA Homes.
- The real estate agent you choose will have an influence on every aspect of selling your home. If they are not experienced enough or do not use the right marketing techniques to get your home maximum exposure, it may sit for some time. The choices you make will allow your home to be on the market the least amount of time possible.
Please contact us if you have any questions or comments.